Burke Planning Commission
The Burke Planning Commission consists of Five (5) members appointed by the Burke Selectboard. The planning commissioners and their appointment expiration dates are:
James Bentlry, Chair - 2020
Valerie Desmarais - 2019
Keith Clark - 2019
Sean Montague - 2019
Abigail Montgomery - 2020
The Planning Commission meets the third Tuesday of the month at 6:30 PM in the Burke Town Offices on School Street in West Burke. Additional special meetings, community forums and public hearings are held throughout the year. Notices for additional meetings are posted at three locations in town and as required in the Caledonian-Record newspaper.
The Planning Commission meeting minutes and other documents listed are informational only. All official records are maintained by the Burke Town Clerk.
The duties of the Planning Commission as set forth by state regulations are:
- Prepare a town plan and amendments thereof for consideration by the legislative body;
- Prepare and present to the legislative body proposed bylaws and make recommendations for proposed amendments;
- Undertake capacity studies and make recommendations on matters of land development, urban renewal, transportation, economic and social development, urban beautification and design improvements, historic and scenic preservation, the conservation of energy and the development of renewable energy resources and wetland protection;
- Prepare and present to the legislative body recommended building, plumbing, fire, electrical, housing, and related codes and enforcement procedures, and construction specifications for streets and related public improvements;
- Prepare and present a recommended capital budget and program for a period of five years for action by the legislative body;
- Perform such other acts or functions as it may deem necessary or appropriate to fulfill the duties and obligations imposed by, and the intent and purposes of, the Vermont Municipal and Regional Planning and Development Act.
In carrying out its responsibilities the Burke Planning Commission endeavors to increase citizen participation by holding public forums and encouraging public attendance at all planning commission meetings.
In addition to ongoing efforts regarding revisions to the town plan and corresponding land use regulations based on town surveys, public input and changing state regulations, the planning commission has worked on developing a capital plan, achieving Village Designation status from the state for East Burke and West Burke.